Study of Genetic Variation in Six Iranian Sheep Breeds Using Microsatellite Markers

Document Type : Scientific - Research Articles

Authors

1 Ferdowsi University of Mashhad

2 Ferdwosi University of Mashhad

Abstract

In this study a set of 10 polymorphic microsatellites (MAF33, OarCP34, BM8125, MAF214, MAF70, DYMS1, MCM527,
OarJMP29, OarJMP58, BM1824) has been used to assess the distribution of genetic variation in six Iranian sheep breeds
(Sanjabi, Kabude Shiraz, Turki Ghashghaii, Lori, Bakhtiyari and Arabi). From each breed 45 sheep randomly were selected
and their blood samples were collected individually. The DNA of samples were extracted by modified salting-out method.
The genomic DNA amplified through polymerase chain reaction (PCR). All locus per population combinations were at
Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium except MAF214 for Kabude Shiraz and BM1824, MAF214 and MCM527 for Sanjabi. All loci
were found to be polymorphic in the six sheep breeds, and generated a total of 73 loci across the 10 locus from the 270
individuals analyzed. There was substantial genetic variation within sheep breeds, with average heterozygosity range of 0.747
to 0.792 based on expected hetrozygosity. The confidence intervals for the gene diversity at each location indicate that no
significant difference between breeds hetrozygosity. The results indicated that genetic differences between the breeds
explained 8% of the total genetic variation and the remaining 92% was due to differences among individuals within the
breeds.

Keywords